Thursday, February 17, 2011

Catching Up

Where to begin??

I guess I will begin with the race. Good news and bad news.
Good news: I ran continuously through the entire 13.1.
Bad news: I did not meet my time goal.

I am VERY disappointed about not making a new personal record at the Mercedes race. Everyone was telling me "great job, Anna!" when I crossed the finish line, and I just didn't want to hear it because I was so upset with myself about my time. I finished in 2 hr., 9 min, and some seconds which is about a minute and a half longer than my time in the MS Blues race. Not that big of a deal....but to me, I think that you should show improvement from one race to the next. However, I did have some factors that slowed me down. First, I was wearing different socks that I had never run that far in and I got a blister on each foot which I battled with for a few miles. Secondly, I had very bad, umm....let's just say..."stomach issues". Now, if you are a runner, you know that running is not always wonderful and pretty. It can do some pretty raunchy things to your body to be completely honest! I battled with stomach problems throughout the entire race but I could not bring myself to stop and use one of the lovely porta potties along the race route. So, I toughed it out but it definitely slowed me down. This will be an issue that I need to figure out how to fix before I do my next race! (Sincere apologies for the graphic nature of that paragraph.)

More good news....Martha Ann blew her first race OUT OF THE WATER! I was sooo proud of her!! She was positive the whole time. We ran together until mile 12! It was such a great experience for us to share that excitement together. At mile 12, I told her to go ahead and finish strong (without me, due to the stomach stuff slowing me down). She sped on ahead and finished about a minute and a half before me. I look forward to many more races with her!!

Here are some pictures from race day:


At the starting line!

Finish line!
Yes, I felt as awful as I look at that point.

Time to run to class...I will post later with snow day pictures, Valentine's day dinner, and some very special school news! :) Have a great rest of your Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment